Scott E. Nichols' extensive experience in municipal law spans 35 years of diversified practice in municipal law, litigation, mandamus, administrative hearings and other special proceedings, including extensive experience in land use, subdivisions, zoning, redevelopment, CEQA, public works contracts, election law, Brown Act, Political Reform Act, assessment districts, Proposition 218, and municipal code enforcement. During his career, Mr. Nichols has counseled thousands of City Council and Planning Commission meetings.
Scott's litigation experience includes public works disputes, zoning, subdivisions, personnel, redevelopment, real estate and landlord-tenant disputes. He has successfully litigated CEQA, land use and assessment district cases from trial to the California Supreme Court.
In addition to his municipal law specialty, Mr. Nichols' experience includes the areas of business litigation, construction contracts, landlord-tenant, real estate transactions, real estate litigation, debt collection, simple corporations, non-profit corporations, and Uniform Commercial Code transactions and litigation. He has represented both large and small business owners from corner grocers to the U-Haul Corporation, individual homeowners, industrial plant operators, investment trust members, shopping center owners and tenants.
Mr. Nichols participates actively in real estate transactions from concept design, financing, negotiation, entitlement, acquisition, and project trouble-shooting. His experience includes shopping centers, major retailers, restaurants, auto dealers, commercial and residential subdivisions, market value and low cost housing projects, and landlord-tenant relations.
SERVICE, AWARDS, PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- City Attorneys Association of Los Angeles County
- Board of Directors, Pomona Valley Habitat for Humanity
- Speaker, Presenter - Contract Cities Association - "Recent Legislation Concerning Planning"
- Speaker, Presenter - California Municipal Business Tax Association - "Business License Taxation"
- Speaker - American Planning Association - "Sign Code Laws"
- Speaker and Mentor - California Bar Association Law Day
- Speaker - Boy Scouts, Explorers - Career Awareness Program
- Juris Doctor, Pepperdine University School of Law (1975)
- Pepperdine Law Review (1975)
- Dean's List (1974-1975)
- Award of Excellence - Real Property (1974)
- Award of Excellence - Landlord & Tenant (1974)
- California State Bar (1975)
- United States District Court (1975)
- Public Agency - Municipal Law
- Land Use, Environmental, and Real Estate Development
- Successor Agency (formerly Redevelopment) Law
- Construction Law and Contractor Disputes
- Election Law and Initiative Process
- Housing Development and Regulation
- Proposition 218 and Assessment Districts
- Business and Commercial Law